Friday, May 3, 2013

Blackberry Lemonade and Blueberry Streusel

I'm officially obsessed with blackberry lemonade. I went shopping at grocery outlet two days ago and scored (yes it feels like I scored it) two bottles of Minute Maid light lemonade. 15 calories per serving and only 2 grams of sugar, for 99 cents each! I'm a huge lemonade fan but have a hard time finding a light version that I really like and I was really impressed with this one. Anyway, tonight I finished the last of the 2 bottles. It wasn't all me, the family shared both bottles, but even if I had drank an entire bottle (7 servings) that is only 105 calories and 14 grams of sugar. It's not best to drink your calories but even with that considered this is a much better option than sodas or sugary juices. So with dinner tonight I decided to finish the lemonade off and throw in some squished up blackberries. YUM! It was fantastic. I know it's not like some super original concoction but considering 95% of the time I just chose to drink water, to me this was heaven in a glass. I am dying to make another trip back to grocery outlet but after a Costco trip tonight I should stay far far away from stores. Even though there are only 4 of us (and 2 being under the age of 5), I have to stock up like I'm feeding an army and it is expensive. I spend probably double what I can comfortably afford on groceries. My mother is always amazed when I tell her we go through a Costco pack of apples in 4  days, while hers end up going bad weeks later. Even if I don't have the money for it I always find myself buying tons and tons of fresh fruit because if I don't have those options in the house, I make unhealthy choices and end up with guilt and a larger waistline. Yes, canned veggies and frozen fruits are cheaper but they also aren't as appealing and I'm a food addict, it would be soooo easy for me to just choose making cookies or sending my husband to the store for ice-cream.

Costco trip tonight:
1 pack organic fuji apples
1 package kale slaw mix
1 package blackberries
2 packs bananas
1 pack corn (8 cobs)
1 pack daves killer bread (2 loaves)
1 pack black forest ham (3 containers)
1 6.5 lbs bag chicken breast
1 lemon blueberry streusel cake (ooops!)
1 workout tank top to be used for ragnar relay
1 book "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed 

Ok so I must defend the lemon blueberry cake- it was delicious for one, and the lady handing out samples told me that she freezes it so it lasts longer without going back and serves it cold in bite sized pieces. So maybe I just was going along with her idea because it tastes so darn good but I am going to attempt to follow the same plan and divide it into like 20 servings? I don't know....how many do you think I can get out of this bad boy? 2.75 lbs, uffffta.

No comments:

Post a Comment