Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Weather Outside is Frightful

Talk about a cold run this morning. I think I was shivering for about 3 hours afterwards. The temperature was 36 when I met up with some daily mile friends at a local waterfront park at 8:45 this morning. Starting at a waterfront park in the winter probably isn't the smartest idea, the way the wind whips off the water makes it feel at least 10 degrees colder than it actually is. BRRRRR. It wasn't clear and cold either, it was pretty misty out, sometimes the mist turned into actual rain. I couldn't find my underamour insulated pants this morning so I wore Nike running capris, a tshirt, light jacket then gloves and a headband to keep my ears warm(ish). It actually just really made my head itch so I kept adjusting it throughout the run. We planned on doing an 8-10 mile route. The ladies I ran with this morning all had very different paces. Two of the girls (LaRee and Jenny) seem to comfortably run a 9 min/mile, Jill and Cheryl were more 11's and then there was a 12 min/miler. I happened to fall around 9:45 this morning so I just kept bouncing back and forth between running with LaRee and Jenny for awhile, then hanging back with Jill. At one point I was by myself for about 1.5 miles. We were doing 3/1 intervals but my watch didn't have a fully charged battery so I was estimating my intervals- I guess I ran a little too far cause when I turned around I couldn't find anyone! LaRee and Jenny had actually turned back to find the last of the pack (she had stopped at a gas station bathroom) so I wasn't sure what to do. I eneded up turning around and about .5 mile behind me I found the group all together. About this time we realized we were running during the first snowfall of the season! Big white flurries started coming down- it didn't last long though, after about 20 minutes the rain came back. The majority of the last 2 miles was on this awesome trail we have that cuts through the backside of town and at one point I looked up and saw my new DM buddy Diana who was on her own 14 mile run. She joined us as we headed back to our cars. 9.2 total miles, 1 hr 39 minutes about a 10:45 pace. I ended up some SOAKED clothing, and bright red nearly frost bitten limbs!

On the other hand KK (my 4 year old) is very sensitive today and I'm going insane. Thank goodness my husband has been very helpful. He not only let me go run this morning (yes I say let me because he is a stay at home dad and I know by Saturday he's probably ready for a break), he also dealt with bath time, cooked dinner tonight and oh most importantly let me nap earlier this afternoon :) He even got me hot cocoa after my run because I just couldn't warm up. Anyway, it's nearly bedtime for the girls and as I'm sure most parents can relate I'm counting the minutes. If I get some more chores done tonight tomorrow I'll be able to relax a little more. A few days ago we made ornaments with the girls but we didn't get a chance to paint them all so it'd be fun to finish that tomorrow and listen to some Christmas carols or maybe drive around town some neighborhoods and look at the Christmas lights.But tonight will end with laundry and finishing watching War Horse. Movies seem to take me like 3 different "sittings" to get through, anyone else?


No comments:

Post a Comment